Leduc County council appoints mayor
Council members appoint John Whaley to act as mayor
Oct. 31, 2013 – At Leduc County’s organizational meeting held this morning, division four councillor John Whaley was appointed to act as mayor for a one-year term.
“I am thankful for the support of council and appreciate the faith they continue to place in my leadership,” says Whaley. “We work as a team here and I look forward to working with this new council to represent our ratepayers in Leduc County.”
Audrey Kelto, division seven councillor, nominated Whaley for his seventh term as Leduc County mayor. This was the sole nomination and was carried unanimously by council.
Each year, Leduc County council appoints a mayor from within council to serve at the helm. Whaley’s current term as mayor will expire in October 2014.
The deputy mayor of Leduc County is determined on an eight-month rotational basis. Rick Smith, division one councillor, will act as deputy mayor until June 30, 2014.
The deputy mayor rotation will then continue as follows:
- July 1, 2014 to Feb. 28, 2015: division two councillor Clay Stumph
- 1, 2015 to Oct. 31, 2015: division three councillor John Schonewille
- 1, 2015 to June 30, 2016: division five councillor Tanni Doblanko
- July 1, 2016 to Feb. 28, 2017: division six councillor Glenn Belozer
- 1, 2017 to October 2017: division seven councillor Audrey Kelto