My mission is to effectively and efficiently communicate an organizations’ messaging through innovative internal and external communications practices.
Leduc County – Communications Coordinator
June 2013 to present
- Provides strategic communications counsel and communications support to assigned departments – including council, county manager, Planning and Development, Enforcement Services, Fire Services and Corporate Services – to fulfill departmental and organizational objectives.
- Researches, develops, implements and monitors communication strategies for internal and external audiences.
- Provides proactive issues management through the identification of emerging issues and development of effective and timely responses.
- Serves as Leduc County’s primary media contact and uses media relations effectively and strategically to support major communication activities through the planning, development and distribution of media materials and events, and the coordination of media interviews and availabilities.
- Provides staff and council with a framework for media relations; provides training for designated spokespeople within departments.
- Plans, coordinates, writes and edits internal and external communication materials such as media releases, website content, letters, briefings, brochures, reports, speeches, presentations and newsletters in accordance with Canadian Press style.
- Develops content for Leduc County’s corporate social media accounts, and monitors engagement on Leduc County’s corporate and focused social media accounts and plans and implements appropriate responses.
- Provides staff and council with a framework for social media use; provides training for authorized social media users within departments.
- Works with the director to develop and maintain the communications annual business plan and budget.
- Acts as the primary information officer for disaster services.
- Projects of note include managing Leduc County’s 2015 website redesign, and representing communications on a handful of committees addressing annexation, Leduc Regional Fire Services, Municipal Development Plan update, Calmar Fire District Borderless Fire Service and elections. In addition, I created Leduc County’s initial social media policy and guidelines and maintained media guidelines that were implemented orgaization-wide.
Leduc County – Communications Officer
March 2013 to June 2013
General responsibilities include media relations, media monitoring, public relations, social media, website maintenance (Joomla), advertisement design, promotional material design, writing for corporate communications and copy editing (CP Style).
St. Albert Gazette – Reporter
February 2012 to March 2013
Produced copy focussed on the court, crime and politics beats, wrote various feature pieces on local issues, wrote profiles on noteworthy residents, contributed to the publication’s online presence through the use of social media and uploaded breaking news content onto the publication’s website. Covered the health and business beats from February to August 2012.
Westlock News – Reporter/Photographer
August 2011 to February 2012
Produced news, sports and entertainment copy for the weekly publication in addition to a wide array of photographs.
Received second place in the education writing category for the Alberta Weekly Newspaper Association’s Award of Excellence.
Merge Magazine – Freelance Writer
June 2010 to July 2011
Produced various feature pieces each month, ranging from personal profiles and business profiles to entertainment and community event previews.
Intercamp – Graphics Editor
October 2010 to April 2011
Managed all graphic components of the weekly publication, including shooting photographs, editing photographs, creating interesting graphics to accompany features and laying out the newspaper.
Managed the publication’s online presence through various social media platforms, as well as creating and maintaining the website.
Intercamp – News Editor
April 2010 to April 2011
Managed all news content for the weekly publication, including writing copy, generating story lists, assigning stories to volunteer writers and editing copy.
Athabasca University – Bachelor of Professional Arts in Communications Studies, 2017 to 2019
MacEwan University – Public Relations Diploma – 2017 – 4.0 GPA
MacEwan University – Journalism Diploma – 2010
2018 Curl 4 Canada – Co-chair of the Press and Publicity Committee
May 2017 to April 2018
Coordinating all aspects of press and publicity for Curl 4 Canada, a single event comprised of four national curling championships.
The Red Elephant – Communications Director
October 2012 to present
The Red Elephant is a registered charity organization focused on empowering women in low-resource settings by removing the barriers they face during and resulting from menstruation.
The communications director is responsible for all external communication, including managing The Red Elephant’s online presence (website and social media), designing promotional materials and implementing brand standards.
Madison on Whyte Condominium Board – Vice President
May 2015 to present
Acts in the best interests of Madison on Whyte unit owners by participating in discussions and making decisions on behalf of the corporation. In addition to the role of vice president, I am a member of the Developer Claim Committee, which is currently pursuing legal action against a developer.
Madison on Whyte Condominium Board – Board Member
March 2013 to May 2015
Acted in the best interests of Madison on Whyte unit owners by participating in discussions and making decisions on behalf of the corporation. In addition to general board member duties, I participated on the Developer Claim Committee, and lead another committee which pursued litigation against a former property management firm and reached a satisfactory resolution.
2013 Alberta Boston Pizza Cup – Co-chair of the Press and Publicity Committee
May 2012 to February 2013
Coordinated all aspects of press and publicity for the 2013 Alberta Boston Pizza Cup, the mens’ provincial curling championships. Duties included managing online content through Twitter, Facebook and the event website, maintaining contact with media personnel, facilitating interviews and ensuring event publicity.
- 2017 – Alberta Emergency Alert (AEMA)
- 2017 – Incident Command System 200 (AEMA)
- 2015 – Incident Command System 100 (AEMA)
- 2015 – Emergency Coordination Centre (AEMA)
- 2013 – Basic Emergency Management (AEMA)
- 2013 – Public Information Officer (AEMA)
- 2017 – Leadership for Safety Excellence: Supervisor’s Role (AMHSA)
- 2017 – Leadership for Safety Excellence: Hazard Identification, Assessment and Control (AMHSA)
- 2017 – Leadership for Safety Excellence: Incident Investigations (AMHSA)
- 2017 – Leadership for Safety Excellence: Formal Workplace Inspections (AMHSA)
- 2016 – Emergency First Aid and AED (St. John Ambulance)
- 2015 – Defensive Driving (Alberta Safety Council)
- September 2014 – Canadian Public Relations Society
- April 2015 – Hootsuite Certified Professional